Saturday, August 30, 2008

Doing Corn




Well, I've put Mom to work while she's here. Yesterday, we drove into Paonia to see if there was any corn by the box we could buy. The cheapest that I knew of was directly from the Olathe Sweet Corn factory at $9/box (4 dozen ears). The man selling corn said that he had some corn that had been picked 1-2 days ago, and we could have it for $5/box! I was thrilled. We got 4 boxes, and Mom and I did corn until midnight, but it's all done. I did my corn differently this year - it's a Mennonite recipe that all the Mennonite women use around here - no cooking involved!

Freezing Corn
15 c. corn, cut off cob
2 T. salt
1/2 c. sugar
4 c. crushed ice

Stir in large bowl. Let sit until ice is melted. Bag and freeze. Add no water when cooking.

1 comment:

Lavy Country said...

We had fun doing corn last year in your kitchen. We missed you all, but made good use of our time. It was sooooo good! Enjoy your corn. Is it still going to be around in a couple of weeks? I may have Wayne bring me some home :o)