Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Goodbye, Dad

Calvin Floyd Zimmer, Jr. (July 13, 1946 - January 17, 2009), my father, died unexpectedly Saturday night of a massive heart attack. I haven't blogged about it sooner because I have been dealing with so many crazy emotions and thoughts. I still am actually, but thought it was about time - so here you have it. In my early years, Dad was a great father. I have many good memories of my early childhood. I remember him taking just me out to breakfast, and taking me rabbit hunting. I remember all our fun summers of camping and fishing. One time, he and another man, Gary Patraw, took me and Shelly (a friend) camping - no one else. Times like that made me feel special. He let me help him build our front porch.He played ball with me. He always seemed to like having me around. But Dad made some bad choices. He bought a tavern; he had affairs; he stole some things; he lied; he left. Dad started another family, and I have 2 half-sisters that I loved being with whenever I went to visit my father. Dad was a good father to them. He was there for them until the end. Dad never met my husband or children. I hadn't seen him since the summer before I got married - 8 1/2 years ago. I have no assurance that I will ever see him again, but I dearly hope so. I desparately hope that Dad had enough time to trust God as his Savior. We had talked about it many times - but my Dad had a hard time with forgiveness, mainly forgiving himself. I know that "God is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." And I know that God is always faithful. So I hope that I will see my father again someday...but I don't know. And I hope that I never have to see another loved one die without knowing they have trusted in the Lord.

8 comments:

Florida Bozone Bunch said...

Kim, I am so sorry about the loss of your father. I think you did an excellent job of putting your feelings into words. Please remember that we are praying for you and all the big questions that we cannot be answered can be turned over to a God that truly cares. I know your heart is hurting for many reasons. Love you girl!

Beth Stetler said...

I am just a lurker, but want you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers. May God comfort you and give you peace.

Kay Church said...

Kim, you did a wonderful job expressing your feelings on this blog page about your Dad.
I'm so proud to call you my daughter.
Know how much I love you!
Love, Hugs and Prayers,
Mom

Dixie said...

Kim, I am sorry to hear about your loss. May the Lord give you comfort.

Diane said...

Kim, I'm so sorry!!!!
Prayers,
Diane

mrstcd said...

Kim, I'm so sorry. The feeling of loss must be doubly heavy. I can only imagine the feelings you must have. These are times when only God can give us comfort and I'm sure He'll bring it in abundance to you.

Lavy Country said...

Kim know you are in our thoughts and prayers. Sending you a hug.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I am a cousin of your Dad's and was sorry to hear of his death from my father, Ralph Zimmer your grandfather's brother.
I spent many summers playing ball with him and my brother when Corky's family would come to Rochester NY to visit our grandparents. I know his life did not go in the way expected and certainly hope that before he passed he did find forgiveness from our Lord.
I have often wondered what happend to him and Paul, David and Gail. I knew Paul best because we were the same age, played monopoly all the time and just felt sad for him alot.
I hope you get this. Know that I am praying for you. Also, kind of wierd but I married a man with the last name Church (he's a pastor).
Sue Zimmer Church