Saturday, September 29, 2007

The Parable of the Cat



I wanted to share a story with you that helped to bring about a turning point for me this week. As you all know, my big brother went to be with Jesus almost 3 weeks ago. As some of you do not know, I have had a really hard time with it. Grief - yes, but at times I also felt myself slipping into depression. I didn't want to see or talk to anyone. I rarely answered my phone. I only did what I absolutely had to do - and had to make myself do that! It was a dark, lonely place, and I wasn't sure how to escape it. But I knew that I really needed to. Enter - the cat...

One of our cats disappeared a while back, and our tom cat, Cloudy, was acting kind of lonely. We also were starting to see more mice around, so we decided to get a new companion for Cloudy. On Wednesday evening, after prayer meeting, we went pick out our new feline of the female persuasion. Mike works with a guy whose wife is cat crazy and has 20-30 cats of all shapes and sizes. "Wonderful", I thought, "We'll get our pick!" After looking them over (which was a challenge in itself, because they were not "house cats" who were used to being held and petted) we decided on an all black, young female who would let Katie and I hold her without trying to tear us in pieces in her attempt to get away. She rode quietly on my lap all the way home, and we decided to name her Molly.

We had decided to keep Molly inside for a couple of days so that she could get used to us and realize that this was her home now. We showed her where the kitty litter, food, and water were, and then I let her down. First mistake! Things had been going fine up until this point, but now Molly was off like a shot - dashing under the furniture for cover. We went to bed, and everyone drifted off to Neverland - except me. I seemed to be the only one who heard Molly's plaintive cries, so I went down periodically to check on her. At this point, she was holed up under the bathroom sink. She didn't eat or drink, or use the kitty litter (although she did go to the bathroom in various places). The next morning, she was no where to be found. It wasn't until afternoon that we found her hiding in a corner behind the dryer. But she refused to come to us, or let us near her at all. That night, I again listened to her lonely cries, and contemplated our options. I mean, how crazy is that! She has the whole house to explore, and she stays secreted away in a small, dark place. She has food and water (and kitty litter - hint, hint!), but she avails herself of none of it! We try to get close, to reassure her of our good intentions. We want to love her, to snuggle her. We want her to be our kitty! But she refuses. Suddenly, I feel like King David when the prophet Nathan got done telling him a story and proclaimed, "Thou art the man!" It felt like the Holy Spirit was showing me plainly, "Thou art the cat!" (Now, at this point, any of you who ever questioned my sanity, have real grounds for concern:)

But this was my turning point. Like the cat, I was holed up in the dark place of grief and isolation while all the time God had a great storehouse of Grace and Love for me to explore. He had made provision for all of my needs - my hurt, my grief, my confusion, my loneliness - but I did not avail myself of any of his provisions. He was there, trying to help and comfort, extending His hand of mercy to me, but I was too afraid. Afraid of what? Who understands better than God the reality of loss, of pain, of death. Who cares more than God about our burdens, our distresses. How crazy was that cat? How crazy was I! But God is so faithful - so loving - so wise. He remembers that we are dust - and sometimes we're dustier than usual.
So, I'm on my way back! I'm on my way out! I'm on my way up! I'm not there, but I'm on my way.
Great is thy faithfulness - thy mercies are new every morning!

10 comments:

Florida Bozone Bunch said...

Beautiful story. It is amazing how God can use something like a cat to get our attention. He really longs to hold us during these rough times.

Heidi said...

That's awesome! Hang in there.

The Dickinsons said...

Dearest Kim,
It was great finding that you had a blog. I enjoyed looking at your pics and reading your blog. I'm soooo sorry that you lost your brother, I cannot imagine the grief that you feel. I thought you did a good job writing the story, and trust that God can help you heal.
We thought it so interesting that Wayne and Wilma just visited y'all. Wayne's sister, Beth, is married to my Phillip's brother, Mike, so she's my sister-in-law. Confused yet? HA!

We love y'all,
Heather =)

The Dickinsons said...

I just copied down your cookie recipe below (my printer is broken =(

The cookie recipe looks yummy, we'll have to try it soon. =)

I still remember your yummy meal when you stirred Velveeta Cheese into Romaine Noodle soup for our supper when we were doing our VBS out in the village of AK, the summer of 1996. =) Great Memories, especially with the Alcan Highway being our RUNWAY!

Love, Heather

Lavy Country said...

Kim - you are in our thoughts and prayers. God is faithful and look to Him everyday for minute by minute strength. What about the cat??? Is she still hiding?? Lauryn and I are wondering if she too saw the light. We made your cookies last night and they were the perfect Fall treat. Loved them. Have a great day. God is good!

The Dickinsons said...

I just made your yummy cookies and we all loved them. I think it may be the same cookie recipe that Sis. Jewel Sparks from GBS gave me, but I like your icing better, nice yummy touch to the cookie. Thanks for sharing!

Love, Heather =)
Last night, I just changed my blog template to a Christmas page, because I couldn't find anything with fall, and then I saw your nice fall template today. Very cute!

The Sayler Family said...

Wilma - I was wondering when someone would ask about the cat! Apparently her purpose in life was to help me "see the light". We finally caught her (after not seeing her for about 24 hours!) and put her in the cabin - where we feed Cloudy. I couldn't take her not using the litter box any longer! That was the last time we saw her. We're hoping she's just holed up somewhere and eating when we're not around, but chances are she's gone for good. Sorry for the sad cat ending:(

Bobbie said...

Hi Kim, I am glad to see your blog. Thank you for visitng my blog spot. I am indeed sorry to hear about your brother but I'm glad to hear that God is still being faithful to you. Keep looking up and putting your hand in his hand and he will pull you out.

mrstcd said...

Kim-I was so glad to see your comment and know how you were doing! We've thought of you different times and had an update or 2 from the Barnards. Martin calls us from time to time. I love the analogy of the cat and your grief. It's amazing how God can speak through everyday life.
I would love to take you up on your open invite! Your place looks so nice!
Connie

The Dickinsons said...

Hey, Kim, thanks for your nice comment on my blog. That's too cute that I inspired you to change your blog template. =D I know, I lost all of my neat family pics on the side of my blog when I changed. =( Oh, I've saved it, and maybe after Christmas I can bring them back. =)

I'd love to have the pumpkin pancake recipe, if you don't mind sharing. The bad thing is I can't get canned pumpkin here, but I have a couple more cans and my parents can bring me some in Jan. when they come and visit us here in Colombia. =) Here's my email address if you want to email me the recipe.
dickinsonfam@gmail.com
OR If you had planned on posting that recipe, I'll wait for that.

Have a great day!
Love, Heather =)